UNESCO HERITAGE

 

HISTORICAL CENTRE OF THE CITY OF YAROSLAVL - 2005

Brief Description

Situated at the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl rivers some 280 km northeast of Moscow, the historic city of Yaroslavl developed into a major commercial centre as of the 11th century. It is renowned for its numerous 17th century churches and is an outstanding example of the urban planning reform Empress Catherine the Great ordered for the whole of Russia in 1763. While keeping some of its significant historic structures, the town was renovated in the neo-classical style on a radial urban master plan. It has also kept elements from the 16th century in the Spassky Monastery, one of the oldest in the Upper Volga region, built on the site of a pagan temple in the late 12th century, but reconstructed overtime.

Official Dicision

Inscribes the Historical Centre of the City of Yaroslavl on the World Heritage List on the basis of cultural criteria (ii) and (iv):

 

Criterion (ii): The historic town of Yaroslavl with its 17th century churches and its Neo-classical radial urban plan and civic architecture is an outstanding example of the interchange of cultural and architectural influences between Western Europe and Russian Empire.

Criterion (iv): Yaroslavl is an outstanding example of the town-planning reform ordered by Empress Catherine The Great in the whole of Russia, implemented between 1763 and 1830.

Requests the State Party of the Russian Federation to pay particular attention to monitoring and management trends and eventual changes in the built fabric, as well as to the functions of the nominated area and its buffer zone, in order not to affect the outstanding universal values of the property.

Historic Centre of the City of Yaroslavl (2005) Russia

Situated at the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl rivers some 280 km northeast of Moscow, the historic city of Yaroslavl developed into a major commercial centre as of the 11th century. It is renowned for its numerous 17th century churches and is an outstanding example of the urban planning reform Empress Catherine the Great ordered for the whole of Russia in 1763. While keeping some of its significant historic structures, the town was renovated in the neo-classical style on a radial urban master plan. It has also kept elements from the 16th century in the Spassky Monastery, one of the oldest in the Upper Volga region, built on the site of a pagan temple in the late 12th century, but reconstructed overtime.

    * Russia 1968. Kremlin of Rostov-Yaroslavl.
    * Russia 1978. Tourism in the "Golden Ring" around Moscow. Yaroslavl. Spassky Monastery.
    * Russia 1978. Idem. River station and Eternal Glory Monument. 

Yaroslavl is the capital of Yaroslavl Oblast in central European Russia, port and railroad center on the Volga River. Points of interest in the city include a 13th-century church and monastery and three 17th-century churches containing noteworthy frescoes. Also noteworthy is Yaroslavl University (1971), which has faculties in the physical and social sciences.

According to tradition, Yaroslavl was founded in the early 11th century by Yaroslav the Wise, ruler of Kieven Rus, an early East Slavic state, and Novgorod. From 1218 to 1463, when it was absorbed by Moscow, Yaroslavl was the seat of an independent principality.

In the 16th and 17th centuries it was an important commercial city on the route between Moscow and Arkhangelsk.

Commerce declined in the 18th century, and the city became known for the manufacture of textiles. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, Yaroslavl was developed as a center of heavy industry.

    * Russia 2003. Russian History. Yaroslav the Wise.

Yaroslavl is full of historical and cultural monuments, and for this reason is often referred to as the "Florence of Russia".