The Borisogleb district population as of 01/01/2006 was 13,800.
The district area is 1,748.0 sq. km.
The administrative centre is Borisoglebsky village with population of 5,800 people.
The distance from the district center to Yaroslavl is 77 km.
The first settlements at Borisoglebsky appeared 642 years ago.
Reverend Fyodor came into the desert place from Veliky Novgorod area and settled here. There was a road nearby that led to Moscow and Rostov Veliky. Fyodor passed 3 years in seclusion, living in a lonesome cell. He hang a wicker basket by the road and the passers-by put there bread, vegetables and other charity items for the hermit. Fyodor, nevertheless, gave any money he received to the passing beggars, who, having found out about that, often congregated here seeking charity. After 3 years Fyodor's brother Pavel joined him to share labors and prayers.
In 1363 Reverend Sergiy, Father Superior of Radonezh came to Rostov Veliky to pray before the icons of the Blessed Virgin and the Miraculous Saints. Having heard the news, Fyodor and Pavel went to Rostov and asked prince Konstantin and the Rostov Bishop Ignatiy to allow them to build a church and a monastery in a secluded place. Reverend Sergiy would choose the place of construction and bless it.
Reverend Sergiy has chosen the future whereabouts of the church and the monastery himself. He examined the impassable forest depths and the wide swamps. Finally, he pointed to a place near the Ustiye river where the future Boris and Gleb church had to be built. He blessed the elders for their future exploit by the following words: "Holy Father and the Blessed Mother of God will watch over this place and the Holy Martyrs for Christ will help you. Many buildings will rise here and the place will become revered greatly…"
Thus started the construction of Borisoglebsky Male Monastery. People honored this sacred place and many came here to seek monastic life. Reverend Fyodor became the first Father Superior of the monastery according to the wishes of the congregation. Many noblemen of Rostov district willed their riches, fields and villages to the monastery. Reverend Fyodor took care of the cloister for many years, building churches, establishing cells, organizing all necessary aspects of monastic life. Reverend Pavel became Father Superior of the monastery after Reverend Fyodor. Fyodor and Pavel are buried in the northern corner of the monastery's Boris and Gleb church.
People coming here relentlessly marveled at the beauty of Borisoglebsky Monastery.
In 1823 Emperor Alexander I stayed in Borisoglebsky Monastery en route to Rostov.
He was impressed by the grandeur of its size already while approaching the monastery. When the monks told him that the monastery has more than a verst in circumference he decided to take a stroll along its high walls.
Quiet monastic gardens reminded the Emperor of his childhood dream. At the age of 18 he wished to renounce the throne, settle on the Rheine banks and devote himself to nature and gardening. But with time state affairs consumed him more and more, leaving no time for dreaming.
Together with the monks the Emperor examined the embrasures and the towers. Their height and the volume of the walls have enthralled him. When standing on a tall tower, before the vast land expanses, he couldn't retain himself and exclaimed: "This isn't a monastery, this is a small city!"
In 1961 French writer Jean-Paul Sartre visiting Borisoglebsky said with admiration: "Never in the world has I seen such a veritable cloitre (cloister), in the full meaning of this word. It's greater than the Roman-style French monasteries. Only here a man can so fully blend into nature".
The settlement Borisoglebskie Slobody appeared almost simultaneously with the monastery. At first the builders and craftsmen built for themselves only a small settlement consisting of 15 houses in the wood thicket. As the monastery grew and prospered, so did the settlement around it.
There were numerous attempts to rename the village Borisoglebsky, especially after the Bolshevik revolution, but the new names never stuck.
Borisoglebsky settlement, Borisoglebsky village, simply Borisogleb… This name follows the historic truth and fits the current state of the area. Our Borisogleb still faces the future as the village around the ancient monastery.
Before the revolution Borisogleb was a large merchant village. Three small private potato-processing plants represented all industry. There was a bakery and several small shops.
Borisoglebsky volost (district) existed in various forms before 1929, then Borisoglebsky district officially came into being. The settlement was given the status of the industrial community in 1962.
The district is represented by the food industry and construction materials' production.
Borisoglebsky battery farm is famous as one of the best enterprises in Yaroslavl Oblast. Natives of Borisoglebsky love the production of their sausage factory, among it various types of sausages and the well-known Borisoglebsky wieners.
Agricultural industry specializes in dairy cows, pigs and poultry, as well as in cultivating cereals, potatoes and vegetables.
The hard-coated roads spread is 20.2 km (12.55 mi) .
There are 16 schools in the district (with 1600 students), 9 kindergartens (with approximately 400 children attending them).
The cultural and leisurely activities are organized in 15 rural cultural institutions, 6 village clubs, the district cultural institution and the youth cultural institution, in 22 libraries.
There is 1 hospital with the capacity of 166 in the district. There are 26 doctors and 127 nurses.
District especially hopes to attract investors into the tourism industry.
Borisoglebsky district possesses clean nature, thick coniferous and deciduous forests, a river, several lakes, ponds and springs. In summer bilberry, wild strawberry and raspberry grow in abundance. In autumn, swamps produce cranberry, there are many mushrooms. In winter, there are cross-country ski trails, toboggan rides, skating rinks. Spring in Borisoglebsky is especially delightful with its lilies of the valley, first green leaves on the birch trees, emerald downiness of spruce branches, the aroma and the sound of spring breeze.
The air in Borisoglebsky is unbelievably clean, full of oxygen. One can take a vacation here just as well as in a resort town, without the disadvantage of acclimatization.
The architectural ensemble of Borisoglebsky Monastery includes 5 churches, several warehouses and the fortification walls with towers.
It is precisely here that monk Irinarkh lived in the XVI century. He blessed Minin and Pozharsky for a struggle with the Lithuanian invaders. Prince Pozharsky took the cross of Irinarkh to battle.
Parishioners still come to the cell of Reverend Irinarkh to pay tribute. They put on his chains during religious processions. Since 1998 the All-Russian Irinarkh Readings are held yearly. They pay host not only to guests from Russia, but also from Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Belgium. The subject matter of the Readings encompasses various tendencies.
The museum of poet Konstantin Vassiliev functions here. The so-called Vassiliev Readings are held to commemorate the author.
Guests can visit "Ustiye" restaurant, coffee-bar "Nika". Meals are appetizing and inexpensive. The hotel is being planned.
Administration of the Borisogleb municipal district
152170, Yaroslavl Region, Borisoglebsky village, Transportnaya St., 1
phone +7 (48539) 2-25-53,
fax +7 (48539) 2-14-87
The Head of administration of municipal district
Viktor Dmitrievich Pochernin