The Poshekhonye district population as of 01/01/2006 was 17,100.
The district area is 4,383.1 sq. km.
The administrative centre is Poshekhonye.
The distance from the district center to Yaroslavl is 151 km.
The Poshekhonye municipal district lies on the coast of the Rybinsk Reservoir, bordering the Vologda Regions.
There was a monastery selo Pertoma in place of a modern Poshekhonye in the XVII century, (the name comes from the Shekhon river), where the office of voevode had been located since 1680. In 1777 it was given another name and status, the chief town of the uyezd, Poshekhonye, by order of Ekaterina II and included into newly formed Yaroslavl namestnichestvo that is a region ruled by governor-general. It was here where the Poshekhonye craftsmen were making gold leaf, with which the domes of Moscow, Saint-Petersburg and many other cities were trimmed.
In 1918, Poshekhonye was renamed into Poshekhonye-Volodarsk in memory of a revolutionary activist, V.Volodarsky. In 1992 the city was given back its previous name.
The Poshekhonye is the Motherland of Poshekhonye cheese. Forestry, fish processing and flax-manufacturing industries are also developed, In over two centuries the selo turned into a small cosy town, which streets retain memories of each epoch's events.
Before there was Pertoma selo in place of the town. Although the province had already got the name "Poshekhonye", according to the ancient name of the river Sheksna, that is Shekhona. In 1708, when Russia was divided into provinces, the Poshekhonye province was registered to the Ingermanland province; according to the Table of Governments of 1719 - to the Saint-Petersburg's one. It was annexed to the Yaroslavl province of the Moscow government. Finally, in 1777 selo Pertoma was renamed into Poshekhonye and entered the newly formed Yaroslavl region ruled by governor-general. The town retained its name till 1918.
The Poshekhonye coat of arms was approved in June 20, 1778 (by Act #14765; from August 31, 1778) together with the other coats of arms of the Yaroslavl region. The coat of arms was created by a friend of the King of Arms, fon Enden.
The Poshekhonye municipal district is an agricultural one. Agri-food goods constitute 22% of total production of goods and services. Production volume index of agricultural goods in agricultural enterprises for the 2005 amounted to 110%.
The main grain manufacturers are agricultural enterprises. Their share in grain production in 2005 was 99.8%. Potato and vegetable production is mainly concentrated in individual farms.
Flax growing as well as partial manufacturing is continued in the Poshekhonye district ("Flax" OJSC).
Livestock farming specializes in cattle and sheep growing.
Food-processing industries make 10% and concentrate on foodstuffs production.
Fishing, as well as fish and seafood processing and tinning are carried out here. "The Poshekhonye fish cannery" OJSC works here.
The Poshekhonye district has stocks of timber that is utilized on a yearly basis by "Poshekhonsky leshoz" , "Poshekhonyeles" Ltd. Timber is mainly removed.
Tourism is particularly attractive for investment activities in the district, including water tourism, as the Poshekhonye can be called "The Northern Venice" being located on 5 rivers and on the coast of the Rybinsk Reservoir. There are potentialities to construct a boat-house, a landing place for passenger watercraft in the district's territory .A passenger houseboat landing place should be
built in Poshekhonye.
Additional investments are needed for growing and processing flax, as well as woodworking.
The Poshekhonye district is a typically Russian extremely scenic land with broad expanses of forests, fields and meadows.
The Poshekhonye is an administrative, historical, cultural and spiritual centre.
From generation to generation the customs have been embodied into way of life, methods of running household, spiritual life and craft.
The Poshekhonye is a superb place for individual and corporate rest, fishing and hunting.
Within the framework of tourism development program the following projects are being realized in the Poshekhonye district: "Master of the Poshekhonye rivers", "Russian Estate" (both as regional festivals), "Coming to a Domoviha's place", "The Poshekhonye linen", as well as "Poshekhonye, the town standing on 5 rivers and 7 bridges" tourist route exploration.
The district's hunting grounds are the largest and most inhabited in the Yaroslavl Oblast rich in a numerous species of game animals and birds. One can hunt bears, elks, wild boar (in autumn and winter) and upland fowl (in summer and autumn), as well as hares, foxes in winter.
The hunting preserve has equipped hunting centres in Shishalovo village (for 6 people), Sakulino village (for 20).
Affluent water sources, such as rivers, the Rybinsk Reservoir with its scenic coastline open up new vistas for water tourism development.
That will allow Poshekhonye to be still more attractive for tourists who will be able to enjoy water and coastline landscapes.
Administration of the Poshekhonye municipal district
152850, Yaroslavl Region, Poshekhonye, Svoboda Sq., 9
phone +7 (48546) 2-28-43,
fax +7 (48546) 2-27-95
The Head of administration of municipal district
Vladimir Glebovich Kabanov