The Uglich district population as of 01/01/2006 was 51,100.
The district area is 2,568.3 sq. km.
The administrative centre is the city of Uglich.
The distance from the district center to Yaroslavl is 110 km.
Uglich is one of the oldest Russian cities. It was founded in 937 by Ian Pleskovitch, a relative of Princess Olga. It was first mentioned in Ipatyev chronicle in 1148 under the name Uglichye-polye.
In 1218, Uglich became the center of the independent apanage princedom. In 1238, it was plundered and burnt by the Mongol-Tatar hordes.
In the second half of the XIII century Uglich princedom expanded. It included several cities and in 1329 became subordinate to Moscow Prince Ivan Kalita.
By XV century Uglich was completely rebuilt and achieved independence. When governed by Konstantin, son of Dmitry Donskoy, it experienced an economic upturn and had its own mint.
Uglich approached the golden age when governed by Prince Andrey Bolshoy (from 1462), an outstanding political and military leader of his time. Uglich became an important political, economical and cultural center of the Russian State. It had its own mint, here the chronicles were written, books copied and designed, stone cathedrals and chambers (palaty) built.
At the end of the XVI century Uglich became the stage for major events in Russian history. With the death of Prince Dimitry the dynasty of Rurick was cut short here, and it is here as well began the dynasty of the Romanovs. Boyarynia Ksenia Shestova, the mother of the first tzar of the Romanov dynasty, was the native of Uglich.
On May, 15, 1591 the last offspring of the reigning dynasty of the Rurick, Prince Dimitry, perished in the Uglich Kremlin under mysterious circumstances. That event bore a tragic and fateful meaning for Russia. It became a precursor for the Time of Troubles, the bloody period of civil wars, impostors, foreign intervention and the devastation of the country. In 1610-1611 Uglich underwent severe destruction and by 1620 only 20 courts remained here.
In the second half of XVIII century Uglich once and for all becomes the city of merchants and artisans. Its regular layout was adopted in 1784.
By XX century Uglich becomes a remote country town with several small tanneries, linen plants, paper mills. The top quality Uglich sausages were prepared here. Local butter was in high demand in both capital cities.
The Soviet era brought a new stage in the development of Uglich. It laid the foundations for the existing industries: watch production, cheese production, machinery, energy.
The city has considerably changed its look at those times. Modern comfortable districts appeared, schools were built. The Palace of Culture and the Hospital campus were also constructed.
In the meantime, Uglich preserves its historical quarters, that receive particular attention from the district administration and stimulate interest of numerous tourists.
Uglich is unique because of its living memory, bearing the imprint of more than a thousand years' history.
On October, 9, 1997 the Moscow and All-Russian Patriarch Aleksiy II at submission of the Russian Children's Fund awarded Uglich with the Order "For Charity Deeds" of Saint Prince Dimitry of Blessed Faith, Moscow and Uglich miracle maker, for particular accomplishments in caring for poor, orphaned and sick children.
The economy of Uglich municipal district is represented by the manufacturing industry, transport, construction materials production, public utilities and other fields. Agriculture and timber are the two staples of economy in rural areas.
Manufacturing, construction materials' and transport plants form the economic foundation of the district.
Food production assumes the leading position among all sectors of manufacturing industry (45.2% of all the volume of produced goods). It is represented by the cheese and butter production. The only Cheese- and Butter-making Institute in Russia is based in Uglich. Besides that, baked goods, pasta and pastries are made here.
The second place in volume of produced goods belongs to the watch and appliances production (23.4% of all the volume of produced goods). The "Watch-making factory "Chaka" JSC makes watches.
On the third place - machinery and equipment production (cranes on motorcar motion, milk-processing machines and equipment) - 13.5% of all the volume of produced goods. Among the machinery plants are "Uglichmash" JSC, "Stankotech" Ltd., "Spectechnika" Ltd. and others.
Some of their production is well-known in Russia and abroad: for example, cheeses and food supplements, watches and mineral water, equipment for cheesemaking and buttermaking industry, construction cranes.
Agriculture and timber industry form the economic basis of rural territories (volosts) of the district.
The UMO agricultural-industrial complex consists of 30 agricultural enterprises, "Uglich battery farm" JSC, "Pervichnik" Ltd., 167 farms with the total employment of 2,200.
Milk production is the main sector of agricultural production.
Recently the growing of Romanov sheep has livened up. By sheep livestock number the district is the champion in all the Oblast. The pedigree saplings, grown in the district farms, are in high demand in Baltic states, in Belarus and Bashkortostan, in the Krasnodar and Stavropol Territories, in the Moscow, Leningrad, Nizhegorodskaya, Belgorodskaya and Tverskaya oblasts.
Recently small business has become a full fledge sector in the district economy. It covers various economic fields: trade, services, construction, transport, commercial production. With the development of small business, especially in manufacturing, its role in the economic development of the district increases.
There are peat, sand, gravel deposits, mineral water sources in the district.
The city possesses a highly trained labor force. The intermediate and high vocational education system is well-developed.
The development of tourism industry is a priority, including the further development of the tourism infrastructure, the expansion of the tourist-oriented services, maintaining and preserving architectural masterpieces.
With the tourist flow into Uglich increasing, these circumstances give favourable scope for investment.
The tourism sphere is not the only one seeking outside funds. The city has all the conditions for the development of the manufacturing industry and private businesses.
Uglich is one of the oldest cities of the Upper Volga region. Its appearance is wondrously harmonious. The smoothly flowing Mighty Volga, the thick surrounding forests, spread out for many kilometers, the architectural monuments, splendid creations of Russian architects, all blend together here.
The Uglich skyline, as seen from the Volga, is truly unique in its beauty: the crimson facades of the Church of Dimitry "Built On the Blood", the sky-bound white mass of Transfiguration of Our Savior Cathedral, the elegant Church of the Birth of Saint John the Baptist, and nearby the powerful installations of the Uglichskaya Hydroelectric Power Station and the high arcade of the lock.
Uglich is a gemstone in the crown of the Golden Ring of Russian cities. Different historical periods have left their monuments in Uglich. Among them such masterpieces of the Ancient Russian architecture as the Chambers of the Palace of the Apanage Princes, the Assumption ("Marvelous") Church with three towers, the ensemble of the Resurrection Monastery…
Uglich is a historical and cultural monument of Russia. Each age has added up names of people whose fates in any event were tied together with the fate of the city and Russian history. In Uglich in an inconceivable way two dynasties of the Russian tzars were connected: the last tzar of the dynasty of Rurick, son of tzar Ivan the Terrible Prince Dimitry perished here, and the boyarynia Ksenia Shestova, the mother of the first tzar of the Romanov dynasty, grew up here. In various times Uglich was visited by writers M.E.Saltykov-Shchedrin and I.S.Aksakov, historian M.P.Pogodin. Famous actor M.A.Tchekhov lived in Uglich, famous Soviet scientist and academician A.I.Oparin was born here. Poetess O.F.Berggoltz spent her childhood years here. Centuries-old Uglich history, its beauty and charm have often inspired artists. M.V.Nesterov, N.K.Rerikh, K.F.Yuon have captured Uglich and its history in their canvasses.
Thematically diverse Uglich museums reveal the richness of the cultural heritage and the traditions of the ancient Russian land to the visitors.
Cafes and restaurants welcome tourists to taste the delicacies of the Russian cuisine and to have a good time.
Uglich hotels offer the best living conditions. Some of them already approach the European comfort standards. Local artists and craftsmen will offer you a wide product variety.
Administration of the Uglich municipal district
152615, Yaroslavl Region, the city of Uglich, Uspenskaya Sq., 2
phone +7 (48532) 2-12-35,
fax +7 (48532) 5-41-11
The Head of administration of municipal district
Eleonora Mikhailovna Sheremetyeva